The American Lung Association is the trusted champion in improving lung health and preventing lung disease. As May begins Asthma Awareness Month please visit our site to learn more about our asthma based programs, research and education. https://www.lung.org/lung-health-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/asthma
In New Jersey, over 600,000 adults (9.0%) and 167,000 children (8.7%) are estimated to have asthma currently. The number of women with asthma is almost double the number of men with asthma; however, asthma occurs more frequently in boys than girls. Over 10.1 million school days are missed across the United States each year making it the #1 reason students are absent.
Asthma and other lung related illness is directly impacted by the air we breathe. Five in ten americans lives somewhere in this country with poor air quality. If you would like to learn more about New Jersey’s air quality, please visit http://www.stateoftheair.org/
Rutgers Cooperative Extension announces its webinar series “Community Garden Lunch and Learn”. This series will help gardeners and garden managers meet the challenges of community gardening during this 2020 growing season by learning strategies for growing great tasting vegetables and fruits while protecting the safety of fellow gardeners.
Join us every Wednesday, starting May 27, online at noon to learn and ask questions of the experts at Rutgers Cooperative Extension. Every week, a different topic is covered to provide you with information that will make this growing season the best ever.
• May 27 Getting a Head Start on Weed Control – Peter Nitzsche, Morris County Agent
• June 3 People and Food Safety in the 2020 Growing Season – Meredith Melendez, Mercer County Agent
• June 10 Soil Management Basics – Rebecca Magron, Hunterdon County Horticultural Consultant
• June 17 Compost Considerations for the Community Garden – Michele Bakacs, Union & Middlesex County Agent
• June 24 Tree Fruit in a Community Garden – Megan Muelhbauer, Hunterdon County Agent
• July 1 Looking Ahead to the Fall Crops – Madeline Flahive DiNardo ,Union County Agent
To register for the Community Garden Lunch and Learn programs go to:
Contact: Cynthia Triolo, firstname.lastname@example.org, 973.285.8306